Skip to content

Nov 17 2016

Thanksgiving Pet Safety Tips

Thanksgiving Wally

What do you think is the best part of Thanksgiving? For us humans, getting together with our family and eating all the delicious food would be at the top of our list. Our pets, on the other hand, would probably say that all the amazing smells and food scraps getting dropped on the floor. Unfortunately, their bodies can’t handle certain foods the same way that ours can. Below, we have compiled a few tips to help make Thanksgiving a little safer for our fur babies.

  • Bread Dough – Please do not feed your pets raw dough. It can rise in your pet’s stomach and cause intestinal upset (vomiting/diarrhea/pain) or bloating. This may require an emergency visit to the vet’s office and if severe enough – emergency surgery.
  • Sage – Sage and other herbs and spices make Thanksgiving stuffing taste so good! Unfortunately, our four-legged children’s digestive system doesn’t think so. If eaten in large quantities, sage can cause stomach upset and central nervous system depression. Cats are more sensitive to the effects than dogs.
  • Packaging Disposal – Is your pet a “dumpster diver”? If so, keep an eye on the trash! We recommend placing the trash somewhere your pets can’t reach it. After you unwrap the turkey and are done with all the cans and plastic wrap, take out the trash. The raw turkey juice could give your pet Salmonella and the rope wrapped around the turkey is a choking hazard.
  • Cooking – Keep your pets out of the kitchen while you’re cooking! In the craziness of Thanksgiving preparations, your pet may want to stay in the kitchen with all the delicious smells. In your pet’s attempt to sneak some food, he/she may get burnt on the stove or accidentally trip you.
  • Prescription Diet – If you pets are on a prescription diet, please keep them on it! One day of indulging in Thanksgiving foods can cause a lot of problems in the future. These problems could include vomiting and diarrhea.
  •  Chocolate – This one is a no brainer – absolutely no chocolate! Chocolate is highly toxic to our pets. If your pet eats chocolate, call your vet immediately to see if medical treatment is necessary.
  • Decorations – If you like to decorate for the holidays, please be sure to use pet-friendly decorations. All candles need to be put somewhere curious kittens and pups can’t reach and decorations with strings or beads can pose choking hazards. Certain flowers can also be dangerous to our you fur baby as well. Be sure to do your research and make sure the flowers you have on display are safe.

 

For a complete list of pet toxins, please visit petpoisonhelpline.com

petcareclinicok | Clinic Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *